Buying or hiring a vehicle

A disabled person who wants to buy a vehicle may be able to get a discount. It is worth contacting car dealers and asking them if they operate any disabled drivers discount schemes.
Motability can sell or hire new or second-hand cars to anyone receiving the higher rate mobility component of disability living allowance or war pensioners’ mobility supplement.

See the Motability webpage here

Some commercial hire companies offer discounts to disabled people when they hire a car or van. It is worth checking to see if a discount is available.

Exemption from road tax
Any vehicle that is used only for a disabled person (whether they are the driver or the passenger) will be exempt from road tax.
To get exemption, the disabled person must be either: – receiving a war pensioners’ mobility supplement or receiving the higher rate mobility component of disability living allowance; .
The vehicle must be registered in the name of the disabled person or in the name of someone authorised to act on their behalf.

Contact the DVLA for details,

Parking concessions – The Blue Badge Scheme
The Blue badge scheme (this scheme used to be called the Orange badge scheme) allows certain groups of disabled people to park in parking restricted areas.
For example, the blue badge enables disabled people to park free of charge and without time limit at on-street parking meters.

In Scotland, contact the chief executive or social work department of the local authority,

If you have a blue badge you may be able to get parking concessions when traveling in another country that also recognises the badge.